veröffentlicht: 24.11.1997

Chris Squire ; Alan White ; Jon Anderson ; Steve Howe ; Billy Sherwood
Antworten

Topic author
JJG
Ehren-Admin

Interview mit Billy Sherwood - 15 Jahre "Open Your Eyes"

Beitrag von JJG »

Interview mit Billy Sherwood anlässlich der Veröffenlichung von "Open Your Eyes"
vor 15 Jahren am 24. November 1997

Bild

Zum Entstehungsprozess von "Open Your Eyes" hatte ich die Ehre ein paar Hintergründe von
Billy Sherwood zu erfahren, der ja einen ganz großen Teil zum Album beigetragen hat.
Soon und ich haben im Vorfeld ein paar Fragen gelistet, die der Multiinstrumentalist gern
für unser Forum beantwortet hat. Das Interview soll hier auch in der Originalsprache stehen.
Sollte der Wunsch nach einer Übersetzung ins Deutsche da sein, so bitte ich um Anfrage per PN.

Bild
Pic: Billy Sherwood during YOSO-Tour - Concert Aschaffenburg (Germany 2010)

Interview:

Yes - Das Deutsche Forum/Jan Geisler(JJG): Let us first look back, what was your first contact with Yes. And later, who was the first
member of Yes, the person you met?

Billy Sherwood (BS): My 1st contact was as a fan in Las Vegas at the Alladin hotel meeting Jon Anderson, he was playing slots...
I was 11 at the time lol.
Later life would find me hanging out with them by virtue of the music I was making in World Trade wwhich sparked the interest of the
so called "Yes West" bunch... this is what began the ride for me. Chris was the point man in those days, although I met Tony Kaye,
Trevor Rabin and Alan White in the same time... but Chris and I hit it off instantly and began a long writing relationship that is well
know at this point.

JJG: Before "Open Your Eyes" you were already closely linked with the band. You've written for the album "Union" during the "Talk"
tour you were on the stage and have the "Keys To Ascension" produced. When you were asked to be a member of Yes?

BS: As we were nearing completion of OYE the band asked... I suppose because I had just produced a new record and was embedded
within, it seemed after many years of being defacto it was time to make it official and join as a member.

JJG: When songs like "Open your eyes", "New State of Mind", "Universal Garden" or "Man in the Moon" emerged and there are your
personal favorites? Did the band worked on the album completely on any sessions and how many input had Steve Howe delivered to on OYE?

BS: Jon was in Hawaii and did a lot of his vocals remotely, sending back tracks/lyrics and such, Chris myself and Alan carved the basic tracks,
Steve came in near the end of the process and played his parts. Favorites = Universal Garden, The Solution, Fortune Seller, New State Of Mind.

JJG: Many people talk about the music and the instruments that were used for the songs. But what about the lyrics? They sometimes occur
before the actual songs from personal experiences? Are there any stories?

BS: I wrote a lot of the lyrics for that record, along with Chris and Jon... I was mostly coming from a new sense of wanting and hoping Yeswould
re-emerge as the great band it was, getting it on the radio was important and we did have some radio tracks on there that helped the band.

JJG: If you once had the chance to change something in the songs, what would it be, mabye dropping the ambient sounds on “The Solution”?
Why do you re-recorded “Open Your Eyes” and “Man in the Moon” for Conspiracy Album later?

BS: I wouldn't change anything... I am happy with what we ended up with. Some songs did re appear on Conspiracy, they were the demos of the
tracks that evolved within Yes, Chris and I thought it would be cool for the fans to have a different look at the music and see where the differences
came from once Yes-ified.

JJG: I was delighted to hear songs like "Open Your Eyes" during your YOSO tour. On the album you played most of the keyboard parts. Tony Kaye
was no option for "Open Your Eyes"?

BS: I suggested Tony Kaye, Geoff Downes, Patrick Moraz but Jon was very much into the keyboard player who ended up in the picture and so we went with it.

Bild
Pic: Tony Kaye - Yoso Concert Aschaffenburg 2010

JJG: Why was the motto "The first YES studio Album since 1994" on the CD Sticker? What's on Keys to Ascension?

BS: I've no clue why labels add stickers like that... out of our control. Keys has great music on it, I enjoyed producing it and mixing it. It was very
cool to work closely with Rick, something I had not done at that point. Same with Steve.

JJG: Do you take the vinyl version of OYE? Do you like hearing old vinyl?

BS: I know Vinyl has a magic about it and for that I think it's cool that OYE is released in that format... That said I do not own a turn table,
I listen to my ipod, lossless rate
:)

JJG: And now to the present ... If somebody asked me what the hardest working musician, then my answer would be clear. You produce for a variety
of projects, working on solo albums, are guest musicians, sending files to other artists and bands, member of Circa:, Nektar, etc. How do you manage
it all?

BS: I have my own studio where time is not a factor, I work a lot of hours in a day and so... things get done.

JJG: How can we imagine a day in the life of Billy Sherwood, where the theme music does not matter? What are your other hobbies?

BS: I am a video multiplayer gamer junkie and so when not working on music I tend to get lost in the virtual worlds of gaming.

JJG: What family means to you, are you a family man?

BS: I have a wonderful family and it's very important to me to have that in my life... with the studio being in my home it means I am
always around for them, although working on music, if need be I am only a few feet away in my studio.

JJG: Which things you've worked this year and what you have planned for 2013, maybe any live-gigs in Europe?

BS: This years productions include The Prog Collective, The Fusion Syndicate, A new solo CD "The Art Of Survival", Supertramp Tribute,
XAN (new band I produced/recorded) and many many sessions along the way for other artists who have reached out to me via facebook
and the other solcial media outlets I have. I am sure I am forgetting some stuff, alot happens in a year
:)

Billy Sherwood - Solo Albums:

The Big Peace - 1999
No Comment - 2003
At the Speed of Life... - 2008
Oneirology - 2010
What was the Question? - 2011
The Art of Survival - 2012

BildBildBildBildBild

JJG:
Quick question - short answer (your favorite)

BS:
Music-instrument: All
Best album all time: Pink Floyd The Wall
Musician (you played with): Too long a list to write out lol.... that said YES has to be my most favorite expeirence, trully unique
Musician (you want to play with): Kate Bush, Gabriel, Genesis, Pink Floyd
Destination: Future
Book: Manuals for gear
Food: Mexican
Drink: Vodka Tonic tall glass lots of ice
Pet: Cat
Car: VW
Place of relaxation: Home
Policy: Always do the right thing
Saying: Always do the right thing

JJG: Finally, your message to the Yes fans:

BS: I am gratefull to all who support what I do... it's blessing that I do not take for granted, I work hard to produce high quality
productions so that those experiencing it get the full value of the project. I enjoy helping musicians/bands/artists along their way
and so I encourage people to reach out to me if they need production assistance, I admin my own pages at facebook etc...
Don't be shy !! Thanks for eveything.. please visit the stores http://www.billysherwood.com and http://www.circahq.com !!!

JJG: A big thank you to let us look behind the scenes. We wish for your projects, albums and concerts all the best and hope to see you again
soon in Germany.
"We are truth made in heaven, we are glorious" (Anderson/Stolt 2016)

Saaldorf

SOON
Website-Betreiber

Re: Interview mit Billy Sherwood - 15 Jahre "Open Your Eyes"

Beitrag von SOON »

Danke für diese großartige Arbeit, JJG! [smilie=thumbsup.gif]
:mrgreen:
MAKE PROG NOT WAR ! ---> ---> My 2024 Album Faves

Topic author
JJG
Ehren-Admin

Beitrag von JJG »

SOON hat geschrieben:Danke für diese großartige Arbeit, JJG! [smilie=thumbsup.gif]
:mrgreen:
Hey stelle Deinen Anteil nicht unter den Scheffel. Die Liste der Fragen war ja
noch viel länger. Aber dann haben wir noch was für "The Ladder" übrig.

Saaldorf

Aprilfrost
Keymaster

Beitrag von Aprilfrost »

Danke für das Interview mit diesem sympatischen Musiker. Wann hast Du / habt Ihr denn Gelgenheit gehabt ihn zu treffen?

Topic author
JJG
Ehren-Admin

Beitrag von JJG »

Aprilfrost hat geschrieben:Danke für das Interview mit diesem sympatischen Musiker. Wann hast Du / habt Ihr denn Gelgenheit gehabt ihn zu treffen?
Das Bild stammt von der YOSO-Tour 2010. Ich hab vor ein paar Tagen mit Billy gechattet und um ein Interview (per Mail) gebeten.
Mit dem Management eines anderen Yes-Musikers hatte ich auch eine Kontaktaufnahme. Leider geht es diesem Musiker leider wohl
derzeit nicht so gut, deshalb musste ich das verschieben. Vielleicht klappt es ja irgendwann noch. Mehr verrate ich aber noch nicht.

Saaldorf

Topographic
Keymember

Beitrag von Topographic »

Schönes Interview, alles sehr positiv! Danke, JJG! Mich würde noch interesieren, wann (und wie) er gebeten wurde, YES wieder zu verlassen ;) .

Wilson
Keymember

Beitrag von Wilson »

topographic hat geschrieben:Schönes Interview, alles sehr positiv! Danke, JJG! Mich würde noch interesieren, wann (und wie) er gebeten wurde, YES wieder zu verlassen ;) .
Vermutlich von Steve Howe, hüstel ;)
Antworten

Zurück zu „Open Your Eyes“